7.29.2013

King's Highway Road Map

From May of 2012 to February of 2013, I made my way through (almost all of) Stephen King's work and blogged the journey in a series I called "King's Highway." The below is what happened.

While I did do some polishing on these (fixing some fonts and formatting) I've so far resisted the urge to edit any of them. (Well, for the most part; I did add some pics and fix some typos and re-word some things here and there.) Part of the fun of the project was discovering it all as I went along, so while some entries contain some questions or observations rendered irrelevant by later entries, I tried not to pull a George Lucas on anything.

RANKINGS

(What good would any such project be if it didn't yield a few "Worst-to-Best" lists?)

- Novels - Worst-to-best by decade and altogether. (Re-ranked in 2016 here. Use that one.)
- Novellas and eBooks - Also includes Cycle of the Werewolf, Blockade Billy, and The Colorado Kid. (Additional lobstrosities here and here.)
- Richard Bachman - This was my first attempt to rank the Bachmans, but I revised the list somewhat for the Best of All-King post. (For an additional review of The Regulators, click here.)
- Dark Tower - Also includes Bev Vincent's The Road to the Dark Tower (2004.)
- And I ranked what short stories have been collected in book form in two posts, pt. 1 and pt. 2.
- The Miniseries.

NON-FICTION

- Danse Macabre  (1981)
- Nightmares in the Sky (1988, with F-Stop Fitzergald)
- On Writing (2000) Also includes thoughts on George Beahm's excellent The Stephen King Companion.
- Faithful (2004, with Stewart O'Nan) Also includes "Face in the Crowd."
- Guns (2013) King's Kindle essay on gun control/ gun tragedies.

DARK TOWER 

(For this stretch of the Highway, I followed the highly recommended Suggested Reading Order from The Truth Inside The Lie which as you can see includes some books outside the official Dark Tower series.)

- The Gunslinger (1982)
- The Stand (1978) and The Eyes of the Dragon (1987) were covered in one post, "Flaggs of Our Fathers."
- I didn't finish The Talisman (1984, with Peter Straub,) but nevertheless, here's the entry for it. 
- Salem's Lot (1975) Also includes "One for the Road," "Jerusalem's Lot," and Night Shift (1978.)
- The Mist - Also includes "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut" and "The Reploids." ("The Mist" also materialized here.)
- It (1986)
- Insomnia -(1994)
- Rose Madder (1995)
- Desperation (1996)
- Bag of Bones (1998)
- Black House (2001, with Peter Straub) I didn't finish this one, either, but this also includes reviews of "Little Sisters of Eluria" and "Everything's Eventual."
- The Wind Through the Keyhole (2012) This was a joint venture with Bryant Burnette, aka the author of this Suggested Reading Order at TTITL. Pts. 1 and 2.
- The Dark Tower (2004) Pts. 1 and 2.

NOVELS

(If there is a film based on the novel, it's included in the linked-review unless otherwise noted.)

Joyland (2013) Putting this one first as it contains the King's Bingo Scorecard, your scratch-off guide to common tropes and themes of the Kingverse, aka my personal souvenir of making the journey. (Caution: Scorecard only for amusement - not for surgical use or soothsaying.)
- Carrie (1974)
- The Shining (1977) For the Kubrick film, click here. For the Mick Garris mini-series, click here.
- The Dead Zone (1979)
- Firestarter (1981)
- Cujo (1981)
- Christine (1983)
- Pet Sematary (1983)
- Misery (1987)
- The Tommyknockers (1987) (Also revisited here.)
- The Dark Half (1989)
- Needful Things (1991)
-Gerald's Game (1992)
- Dolores Claiborne (1992)
- The Green Mile (1996) Also includes "Shawshank Redemption."
- The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (1999)
- Dreamcatcher (2001) I, DUDDITS!
- Cell (2006) (Also revisited here.)
- Lisey's Story (2006) I didn't finish, but like Rex Reed, I didn't let that stop me from reviewing it.
- Duma Key (2008) (Also revisited here.)
- Under the Dome (2009)
- 11/22/63 (2011)
- Doctor Sleep (2013)
- Mr. Mercedes (2014)
- Revival (2014) pts. 1 and 2.
- Finders Keepers (2015)
- End of Watch (2016)

SHORT STORIES AND MISC.

Night Shift (1978) here, Skeleton Crew (1985)  here, Everything's Eventual (2002) and Just After Sunset (2008) here. Nightmares and Dreamscapes (1993) here and here. And hey! Additional thoughts here and here. Huzzah! ALL PRESENT. (And The Bazaar of Bad Dreams (2015) reviewed here.)

"In the Tall Grass" (with Joe Hill) here. (Also contains Kingdom Hospital, "Chinga," that episode of the X-Files King wrote, "The Cat from Hell" from the Tales from the Darkside movie, and Secret Window.)

FILMS

(Fairly incomplete. You want a serious breakdown of Stephen King films? Look no further than right here.)

- Creepshow and Creepshow 2 (1982 and 1987) I didn't bother with Creepshow 3. Maybe someday.
- Sleepwalkers (1992)
- Maximum Overdrive (1986)
- Children of the Corn (1984) Just the first one.

TV

(Fairly incomplete, as well.)

- The Langoliers (1995)
- Rose Red (2002)

AUDIO

Black Ribbons (2010, with Shooter Jennings)

COMING SOONER
OR LATER...

Ghost Brothers of Darkland County (2013)
American Vampire (2010)
Kingdom Hospital (2004)
The Plant (2000)
Return to Salem's Lot (1987)

Cat's Eye (1985)

Created July 29 2013. Last Edited 1/27/2015

5 comments:

  1. I am probably going to spend all night going through this list!!! Yep... I am excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Day-um...

    I'm still in awe of the fact that you managed just to READ all of that in that amount of time, much less write really excellent posts about them.

    Hat's off to ya. Again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sir - I have so far resisted the urge to drop by either the Tor.com re-read (which is only for the Dark Towers, for eff's sake) or The Guardian's re-read and mercilessly taunt them for being a bunch of slowpokes.

      Delete
  3. Nice Blog, I read your post of Buick 8, I like. recently read the book, I'm a fan of stephen king and I like to find connections to the Dark Tower.

    I also enlarged his novels much like a sack of bones or Insomnia. But even I have read much of Mr. Stephen King.

    When I just read a book I like to research more about it. Just found your blog.

    ReplyDelete